Becoming a Famous Programmer

CmdrTaco posted about 6 years ago | from the lemme-tell-you-about-1=1 dept.

An anonymous reader writes "GrokCode analyzes more than 200 famous programmers to determine what types of projects made them famous. Inventing a programming language, game, or OS ranked among the top projects likely to lead to fame. Most programmers became famous through their work on only one project. The article also shows that among famous programmers, the ratio of males to females is much larger than among normal programmers."

Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1, Funny)

Mad Merlin (837387) | about 6 years ago | (#25192659)

Which is sad, because I just realized that I can't think of any famous female programmers off the top of my head. Of course, the regular ratio isn't terribly different...

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Informative)

dmbasso (1052166) | about 6 years ago | (#25192669)

How can you forget Ada Lovelace?

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Funny)

Renegade Lisp (315687) | about 6 years ago | (#25192703)

How can you forget Ada Lovelace?

Yeah, if it weren't for her, computing the ratio would always exit with division-by-zero. We owe her much.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Informative)

Dun Malg (230075) | about 6 years ago | (#25192819)

How can you forget Ada Lovelace?

My god, you people have no education in the history of computing. There are more. Right off the bat I think of Grace Hopper [wikipedia.org] . She was the first to develop a compiler, for the UNIVAC system, and pioneered the entire notion of compiled high level languages in an age when everyone was basically still thinking in terms of programming the bare metal with 1's and 0's.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0, Redundant)

clickclickdrone (964164) | about 6 years ago | (#25192881)

>Right off the bat I think of Grace Hopper.
About time too. I'm amazed so many posts went up before someone namechecked her.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

jcuervo (715139) | about 6 years ago | (#25192929)

Wasn't she also the one who came up with the term "bug"? *rtfa* Ah, yes.

Wow. And an admiral, to boot.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Funny)

adrianwn (1262452) | about 6 years ago | (#25192937)

So her name is "Grace Hopper", and she made the term "computer bug" popular (see her entry in Wikipedia)? This can't be a coincidence...

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193279)

While we're hunting for wild name occurrences, if you combine her maiden and married initials, she's a GBMH, which is only a typo away from GmbH. Which considering her Navy valor in WWII she *also* helped establish. Amazing Grace indeed!

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193311)

The scary thing is both of them were hired to prove that programming was so easy "that even a woman could do it".

What I find more scary is all the best women coders I know have a very strong liking and deep understand of perl.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Reality Master 101 (179095) | about 6 years ago | (#25192833)

Oh, please. That is absurd to the point of being sexist. Are you saying that Babbage's machines would never have been designed if it wasn't for her? Yes, she was in a remarkable position for a women by the standards of the day, but she was at most a transcriber, and perhaps might have added some original material.

Of course, it's also absurd to argue that Babbage himself was as important as you raise Ada to be, as though we wouldn't have computers at all if it wasn't for him.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (2, Insightful)

Zironic (1112127) | about 6 years ago | (#25193341)

I think you missed the fact that the post you're quoting was a joke.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

Reality Master 101 (179095) | about 6 years ago | (#25192841)

Oops, I misread your quote. I thought you were saying that computing itself would be a divide by zero without her. Now I see you were making a joke. Carry on and ignore my post. :)

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Funny)

Renegade Lisp (315687) | about 6 years ago | (#25192883)

Read the spec halfway through and hack away. You have proven yourself to be a real programmer. Salute!

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192753)

Any live ones?

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

91degrees (207121) | about 6 years ago | (#25192853)

Overrated. didn't do nearly as much as she was given credit for. Babbage just had a soft spot for the girl.

Try Grace Hopper. One of the UNIVAC programmers who I believe did a lot of early work on compilers.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Funny)

Mad Merlin (837387) | about 6 years ago | (#25193257)

How can you forget Ada Lovelace?

That's true. I forgot because after being forced to program in Ada, I permanently purged Ada and anything Ada related from my memory.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

Big Nothing (229456) | about 6 years ago | (#25193267)

Actually, Ada is included in the list.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192765)

Dani Bunten [wikipedia.org] is the only one that I can think of. Though to be honest, she was a man when she did the work that made her famous.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193265)

She's mentioned in the arti -- oh, right. Slashdot.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Funny)

will_die (586523) | about 6 years ago | (#25192791)

How about:
Danielle Berry [wikipedia.org]
Audrey Tang [wikipedia.org]
Rebecca Heineman [wikipedia.org]
If they do not prove that women can be great programmers then what else does?

Actually the only ones that came to me were Admineral Hooper and Roberta Williams.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (4, Funny)

Chrisq (894406) | about 6 years ago | (#25192835)

Well they certainly prove something about famous programmers...

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (3, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192915)

If you needed any further convincing of the fact that Computer Science is a sausagefest, here it is.

Even most of the famous women programmers had/did have penises.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0, Redundant)

The Dancing Panda (1321121) | about 6 years ago | (#25192849)

Two of the three of those were men when they were great programmers...Don't know if that was your point.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192867)

Don't forget Dona Bailey [wikipedia.org] , the creator of centipede.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192945)

Don't forget Dona Bailey [wikipedia.org] , the creator of centipede.

Oh! Should have read GP's links more thorough.
In the light of what The_Dancing_Panda has discovered, Dona Baily probably fits GGP/the actual topic more than GP's links.

I can't think of any famous female programmers off the top of my head

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

The Dancing Panda (1321121) | about 6 years ago | (#25192871)

My mistake, all 3. How did this get modded informative?

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193075)

And please don't forget Sophie Wilson [wikipedia.org] .

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (3, Informative)

papasui (567265) | about 6 years ago | (#25193079)

LOL how the fuck did this get modded informative. For everyone that doesn't get it all of those are transexuals.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193137)

You, the OP and the person who created the "breakdown" are idiots. These people have had gender reassignment surgery and women. You do not have GRS and become "transexual".

Every person listed under "Transexuals" should be under the "Women". Most transsexual women would be offended by anything else, and quite rightly so.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (3, Funny)

papasui (567265) | about 6 years ago | (#25193259)

Stay right there, I just called you a Wahbulance. It'll be right over.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (1)

Pants75 (708191) | about 6 years ago | (#25193111)

Brilliant. ;-)

Fewer female programmers could have been better (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193115)

Thanks to miss hopper, I still have problems sleeping at night, I sometimes wake up screaming, thinking back about my COBOL classes in college.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193355)

Re: Audrey Tang:

Be sure to check out the below audio interview -- nice digitally-adjusted voice, for absolutely *no justified reason*...

http://www.perlcast.com/audio/Perlcast_Interview_024_tang.mp3 [perlcast.com]

On the other hand, there is a different Audrey Tang [moohaha.org] , also asian, who is a true 2-X-chromo geek.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0, Redundant)

gstoddart (321705) | about 6 years ago | (#25193181)

Admiral Grace Hopper comes to mind.

Cheers

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (-1, Redundant)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193201)

Grace Hopper comes to mind immediately.

Sorry gals, women just ain't that great at it. (2, Insightful)

bboxman (1342573) | about 6 years ago | (#25193221)

This might sound a bit like flame bait -- but I am speaking from the experience of nearly a decade of software/algorithm development. I've known good programmers, great programmers, and bad programmers. Women just don't (usually) fall into that great category.

This may stem from many factors. For instance, women may not be drawn to computer programming as a hobby as men. Thinking of those that I classify as great -- the vast majority of them knew how to program well before they ever attended any formal setting.

I've known solid female programmers. But I can't come up with one whom I'd trust to write 10,000 lines of code in a week to come up with a working prototype -- Aren't that many men in that category, but there are a few.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (5, Informative)

nicolas_pen (1372215) | about 6 years ago | (#25193269)

How about Frances E. Allen [wikipedia.org] ?
First female IBM Fellow and first woman to win the Turing Award, yet no one seems to have mentioned her. I think she qualifies!

Also, there's a wikipedia article about women in computing [wikipedia.org] , which I didn't see linked here.

Re:Can you think of any famous female programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193331)

Audrey Tang [wikipedia.org]

So... (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192665)

How many are famous for killing their wife?

Re:So... (1)

paradxum (67051) | about 6 years ago | (#25192737)

you were rated troll.... must be too soon.

Heh heh... (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192757)

Hey Hans, has Tyrone laid some pipe in your anus yet? How does it feel to become goatse?

Re:Heh heh... (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192825)

Actually, the ass has a lot of nerves. That means lot of pleasure. Ever take a monster dump? Kind of feels good, doesn't it? Why do you think some people wear butt plugs? Try jacking off next time there's a big fat turd squeezing out of your ass. It feels pretty good.

It's the... (5, Funny)

skam240 (789197) | about 6 years ago | (#25192681)

"The article also shows that among famous programmers, the ratio of males to females is much larger than among normal programmers."

Obviously it's the extra typing appendage that makes all the difference. It's a well known fact that famous programmers, like myself, type with their keyboards on their lap.

Re:It's the... (5, Funny)

clickety6 (141178) | about 6 years ago | (#25192781)

clever dick!

Re:It's the... (1)

Chrisq (894406) | about 6 years ago | (#25192839)

Mod parent funny .... had me laughing in my cubicle.

Re:It's the... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193097)

mod parent up! hahahaha

Rule #1, get a good publicist (5, Insightful)

petes_PoV (912422) | about 6 years ago | (#25192707)

Looking at the actual list, most of the people cited weren't the sole originators of a work, merely the figurehead. In fact I haven't heard of most of them - or their "products", so to call them famous is greatly exaggerating their actual obscurity.

For example, there's one guy credited with Microsoft Word. Now I'd bet my pension that he hasn't written every version single-handed. Likewise Larry Ellison as the creator of Oracle - no. There are thousands of people who create each version of Oracle, not simply one guy.

This list is too simplistic to have any value, and time spent analysing it is largely wasted.

Re:Rule #1, get a good publicist (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192935)

Looking at the actual list, most of the people cited weren't the sole originators of a work, merely the figurehead. [...] Larry Ellison as the creator of Oracle - no. There are thousands of people who create each version of Oracle, not simply one guy.

It's true that Oracle has many programmers, but does it have many programmers with fame comparable to Larry Ellinson?

Still, my personal opinion is that this type of page [wikipedia.org] effectively illustrates why 'deletionism' and 'notablilty' exist at Wikipedia - not that I would delete the entire page, but at the moment it represents an extremely broad interpretation of both "famous" and "programmer". Chris Lattner might be a great guy, but he doesn't exactly have the name recognition of Linus Torvalds, Bill Gates or Donald Knuth.

Re:Rule #1, get a good publicist (3, Interesting)

Otter (3800) | about 6 years ago | (#25193147)

C'mon. Oracle was created by Ellison and two other guys, not by the person who fixed some bugs in 2004. The distinction between the two is the entire freaking point.

Re:Rule #1, get a good publicist (3, Interesting)

thogard (43403) | about 6 years ago | (#25193253)

Since I known 30+ people in the list I would have to say you are very wrong. While I don't know the author of Word, it would not surprise me if the 1st few versions weren't 90% the work of one person and I've used word on a unix based 3b2.

How many famous female programmers can you name? (1)

jonadab (583620) | about 6 years ago | (#25192709)

> The article also shows that among famous programmers, the ratio of
> males to females is much larger than among normal programmers

You know, I never thought about this before, but off the top of my head I'm having a hard time thinking of *any* famous female programmers, unless you count Audrey Tang (who isn't technically female, in the strictest biological sense, and wasn't even making pretensions of being female in any sense at all when he became a famous programmer) or Mitchell Baker, who, although she's famous in conjunction with a programming project, is not, as far as I'm aware, actually a programmer herself. I'm sure I'm probably missing someone, perhaps even someone really obvious, but, honestly, I'm racking my brain here, and I'm coming up blank. I know of several female programmers, but none of them are especially famous outside a specific application space. There are a couple who are well-known in the interactive fiction community, for instance, but nobody who doesn't follow IF knows about them. There's a female programmer or three who's fairly well-known in the Perl community, but nobody who doesn't use Perl has ever heard of them.

Wait, I've been thinking of *current* famous programmers. Wasn't one of the very early third-generation programming languages designed by a woman? I can't remember which language, though...

Better yet (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192733)

Who gives a shit

Infamous programmers (4, Funny)

MosesJones (55544) | about 6 years ago | (#25192745)

Okay so this is great a list of some very very smart guys that most of us will never directly work with. What we really need is the list of the top 1000 infamous programmers. The guys who destroy projects and create the biggest turd burger frameworks in existence. These are the people who you bitch and moan about in a bar at a conference somewhere and hear the words "you gave Hank X a job? But the guy is a complete idiot" from a few chairs down, a couple of hours later you have the Hank X depreciation society formed and it turns out that this gormless numpty has been screwing up projects since the day he was born.

A nice anonymous list somewhere that needs to include posted code to verify the stupidity level with a least 3 people from a project voting for the muppetry level.

Now that would be great so we could find out just how rubbish a person the HR person has hired and the PHB has approved.

Re:Infamous programmers (5, Funny)

Loibisch (964797) | about 6 years ago | (#25192767)

Here is not a comprehensive list of those programmers, but at least a comprehensive list of their collective works:
http://thedailywtf.com/ [thedailywtf.com]

Re:Infamous programmers (4, Insightful)

petes_PoV (912422) | about 6 years ago | (#25192933)

include posted code to verify the stupidity level

But the people who really kill projects aren't those who write the code. They're the ones who prevaricate about designs, choose inappropriate languages, tools and development schemes. The people who build-in limitations as they don't have the skill (or vision) to appreciate the implications of what they're designing or make things so hopelessly complicated - in the name of flexibility - that no super-coder could ever implement the design.

Bad code can be rewritten, but lousy design is here forever

Re:Infamous programmers (1)

jimicus (737525) | about 6 years ago | (#25192965)

And I'm sure that such a list wouldn't attract even the remotest bit of litigation in a country like the US.

Who are the famous programmers? (0, Redundant)

neonprimetime (528653) | about 6 years ago | (#25192749)

Well here's an actual list [wikipedia.org]

Re:Who are the famous programmers? (2, Informative)

mdm42 (244204) | about 6 years ago | (#25193013)

If you had RTFA you'd have seen that the Wikipedia article is exactly where they drew the list from in the first place.

And for that you get +5 Informative?

Re:Who are the famous programmers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193293)

that wiki article shoulda been linked in the /. summary

Re:Who are the famous programmers? (3, Interesting)

Amazing Quantum Man (458715) | about 6 years ago | (#25193361)

Interestingly, the wikipedia article only mentions Kernighan for AWK and ditroff. It doesn't even mention that other language that he's known for.

Who are the people *you* think of? (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192761)

Damn, I just moderated so rather then post non-anon, I'll just post anon.

I think of that Carmack guy, who wrote Doom and Quake. I think of Billy G, who isn't famous for writing code exactly (or at least not only because of that).

Richard Stallman and Linus "rare Finnish/Swedish name" both come to mind.

I'm having trouble thinking of the name of the SAMBA dude, and what are the names of the two Google founders?

And that's about it. I've run out of ideas.

apathy maybe [revleft.com] .

Re:Who are the people *you* think of? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192857)

Your moderations will still be lost even if you post anonymous ya doofus.

Re:Who are the people *you* think of? (1)

russotto (537200) | about 6 years ago | (#25193045)

Bill Gates, of course -- a programmer from the start.
Hans Reiser. He didn't make the list, but IMO ReiserFS should have put him on the list before he gained lasting infamy.
Linus Torvalds
Brian Kernighan & Dennis M. Ritchie
Bill Atkinson
Ada Lovelace
Grace Hopper
Steve Wozniak (though I think of him more as an engineer)

Some of the other names I think of as famous, but not so much as programmers -- Wirth, Backus, and Dijkstra I think of as computer scientists, for instance.

Make money (1)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | about 6 years ago | (#25192779)

Making boatloads of money will make you (in)famous. And that is not even listed in that pie chart.

Incomplete List, sigh :- (1)

rel48 (756414) | about 6 years ago | (#25192789)

Missing from Wikipedia are at least a few pioneers who made significant contributions: Nan Shu - author of the first Fortran compiler (Watson Research Center c. 1954); John Kemeny & Tom Kurtz - creators of BASIC (Beginners Allpurpose Symbolic Instruction Code) at Dartmouth College c. 1964

Fame != influential (5, Informative)

Dan East (318230) | about 6 years ago | (#25192793)

Just because people know of them doesn't mean they really contributed to software development. One on the list that comes to mind is John Romero. My understanding is that he was primarily a level designer with Doom and Quake, and that he did some rudimentary coding, like menus and the like, whereas the real cutting edge stuff was of course all attributed to Carmack.

I bet everyone at Slashdot knows who John Romero is, but I bet few at Slashdot know of him because of anything he has coded.

Re:Fame != influential (1)

Chelloveck (14643) | about 6 years ago | (#25192863)

Of course not. He was the guy in that play. "O Romero, Romero, wherefore art thou Romero?"

Re:Fame != influential (1)

91degrees (207121) | about 6 years ago | (#25193035)

Quite so. Eric Raymond is much more well known as a writer, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates are really famous because they were successful businessmen. Even for all his work on GCC and Emacs, Richard Stallman is probably best known for the FSF.

Re:Fame != influential (1)

Dwedit (232252) | about 6 years ago | (#25193371)

He made me his bitch.

Poor visualization (2, Insightful)

haluness (219661) | about 6 years ago | (#25192829)

What a horrific visualization - first it's a pie chart and on top of that why put in a background to obscure the colors? Someone went overboard with their charting software

C? (1)

Neotrantor (597070) | about 6 years ago | (#25192843)

to get famous, do i have to write my opus maxum in C?

'Famous' is subjective here to say the least (2, Insightful)

Otis_INF (130595) | about 6 years ago | (#25192873)

(Disclaimer: I don't give a **** if I'm on the list or not ;))

Perhaps the right question isn't 'how to become a famous programmer' but first let's focus on what a famous programmer is? The concept of being famous is that a lot of people know you.

Let me see some hands, who knows "David Bradley" and can name what he accomplished? No-one? Why is this person then branded as 'famous' ? Sure, he wrote a handler which is in almost every Bios, but aren't there millions of routines out there used by even more million people? I mean: the guy / girl who wrote the event handler for the 'Google Search' button has his/her piece of code executed a couple of million times a day as well... The people who know who wrote that routine is probably as big as the group of people who know the name "David Bradley" and associate that name with cntrl-alt-del.

So this 'famous programmer' list is IMHO more of a list of some editor who liked to have his (her?) personal favorites in a single list on Wikipedia.

Article is missing a beard length pie chart (4, Funny)

VampireByte (447578) | about 6 years ago | (#25192875)

Growing a beard [codethinked.com] seems to be important to becoming a famous programmer.

Re:Article is missing a beard length pie chart (1)

Rashdot (845549) | about 6 years ago | (#25193101)

That would explain the lack of women on the list.

My list (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25192877)

Just moderated, so posting anonymously. Dijkstra - 'nuff said. Peter Norton - made the PC accessible to small company programmers. Woz - invented the accessible home computer!! Dan Bricklin - spreadsheets.

Men would always be overrepresented in all ... (5, Interesting)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | about 6 years ago | (#25192891)

Men would always be over represented in any group that has a mean significantly different from the whole society. Women are clustered around the mean with lower variation.

There are more male criminals, murderers than female. The reasons are based on simply reproductive success rate differential between males and females. No matter how successful a woman is, she is very very unlikely to bear more than 10 children. A very successful man could easily leave behind dozens and in some cases hundreds of children. Two thirds of men who have ever live do not have any living descendants toady. Essentially men take more risks and bet it all and two thirds of them lost it all in the genetic race. Thus all living males today come from a lineage of high risk takers. That results in greater variation in every measure, be it with positive connotations or negative. More variation in height, weight, muscle mass, BMI and most importantly risk tolerance.

It is entirely possible that women might even have a higher mean when it comes to intellectual labor than men. But since men have more variation you will find more men in the outliers. If one is in the top 200 of any field, that person is an outlier.

The real way (4, Funny)

ThePopeLayton (868042) | about 6 years ago | (#25192901)

Sure you can design a great OS, Game, Programming Language or even _File System_... but if you really want to be famous just brutally murder a loved one.

Protip: (1)

MostAwesomeDude (980382) | about 6 years ago | (#25192905)

Killing your wife? Not actually a project.

Well, okay, yeah, I mean, it takes some planning and the execution is, well, an execution, but it's not very open-source.

Famous female programmers (2, Insightful)

russotto (537200) | about 6 years ago | (#25192957)

Is Emily Short really famous? I knew of her but only because I follow Interactive Fiction.

And I'm sorry, just because Roberta Williams was part of a husband and wife team doesn't mean she counts as half a person. If you were counting _projects_ that might be valid, but then you'd have to divide all the other programmer's projects up too.

da da da... (1)

nelsonal (549144) | about 6 years ago | (#25192993)

I thought it was common knowledge that men and women had very similar means in almost all intelegence fields, but men had a flatter distribution curve than women (so at the top and bottom there are far more men than women).

Re:da da da... (3, Funny)

Kent Recal (714863) | about 6 years ago | (#25193133)

similar means in almost all intelegence fields

Dude...

Elaine Roberts (4, Funny)

torstenvl (769732) | about 6 years ago | (#25193003)

Only the greatest hacker of our time, duh.

http://xkcd.com/342/ [xkcd.com]

Men bigger risk takers? (2, Insightful)

tjstork (137384) | about 6 years ago | (#25193005)

I think the thing is that men are wired to be bigger risk takers and society rewards people who take big risks. Of course, with men, for every guy that hits it big, there's a dozen, if not a hundred, that completely flounder.

Re:Men bigger risk takers? (3, Insightful)

Patrik_AKA_RedX (624423) | about 6 years ago | (#25193241)

and society rewards people who take big risks

True but incomplete. Society rewards people who take big risks and succeed. Those that take risks and don't succeed get a Darwin-award or a bankruptcy.

(source: homeless guy living near the subway station)

Re:Men bigger risk takers? (3, Funny)

tjstork (137384) | about 6 years ago | (#25193283)

Unless you own a bank! :-)

Why bother with those strategies (2, Funny)

sleeponthemic (1253494) | about 6 years ago | (#25193009)

Steps to Fame:

1. Get into game development position
2. Inject Goatse timebomb
3. PROFIT!
4. NO WAIT!. NO PROFIT.
5. SOME FAME

Re:Why bother with those strategies (1)

Patrik_AKA_RedX (624423) | about 6 years ago | (#25193271)

You are so nominated for the Evil-Bastard-Awards of 2009.

Why a separate "Transsexuals" Category? (2, Interesting)

GogglesPisano (199483) | about 6 years ago | (#25193021)

It's not like "Transsexual" is an endpoint - it seems more like a transition path.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply add one point (or one-half, if you will) to both the Male and Female genders?

Re:Why a separate "Transsexuals" Category? (1)

Dwedit (232252) | about 6 years ago | (#25193059)

Probably because there is a 5:1 ratio of women to transsexuals?

Re:Why a separate "Transsexuals" Category? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193275)

"Here, let me pull these ratio numbers out of my ass..."

Re:Why a separate "Transsexuals" Category? (1)

Vanders (110092) | about 6 years ago | (#25193173)

I am glad I'm not the only one to be annoyed by that, but it frankly doesn't surprise me.

You're right: the people listed should be either "Male" or "Female" for the purposes of this breakdown. "Transsexual" is utterly meaningless.

I met a couple (3, Insightful)

JoeCommodore (567479) | about 6 years ago | (#25193029)

I think fame is overrated, the two I met I marked them as famous for programs they wrote in the 80s, not their current work. One was Brad Templeton, to me famous for Time Trek and Power/Power 64 utility for the Commodore PET & 64, though now he is probably best known for his work in the EFF. The second, Kermit Woodal, who wrote a while back a SIDplayer program for the Commodore 64, I met him at an Amiga conference, from my impression he is still best remembered for that SIDplayer program, which does not always help him in his current projects.

So I think becoming famous in the tech field can have a similar trap like it is to actors, through your fame, you may become typecast into some sort of programming role.

"Normal programmers"? (1)

heritage727 (693099) | about 6 years ago | (#25193085)

I am unfamiliar with this concept. Please explain.

Step 1: Be a programmer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#25193109)

Step2: Kill your wife

Really? (2, Insightful)

visible.frylock (965768) | about 6 years ago | (#25193131)

Really? Seriously?

Is it still necessary to add the obligatory We Are Not Sexist bit to everything? In other news the ratio of males to females is higher among soldiers, firefighters, police officers, coal miners, and convicted felons.

Haven't we been over the sexist arguments to death by now? Is there ever going to come a time when we can talk about people without mentioning their gender, ethnicity, skin color, whatever? When we take it as a given that the median man/woman, black/white, Asian/Hispanic are equally as smart/dumb, and we don't have to hide behind PC language?

Fame (1)

Dystopian Rebel (714995) | about 6 years ago | (#25193135)

Yes, there's a fine measure of your success as a human being.

Programmers spend far too much time in front of a computer and far too little time in the real world, having real relationships and fixing real problems.

It's an arbitrary list (2, Interesting)

Junks Jerzey (54586) | about 6 years ago | (#25193157)

I would bet that 95% of Slashdot readers never heard of Alain Colmerauer, for example.

And the Bard's Tale author is included, but even though the game is well known, he (now she) is not. And there are many, many other well-known games with great programmers behind them who are not on the list.

I for one (1)

MortenMW (968289) | about 6 years ago | (#25193215)

I for one, welcome our new transexual, programming overlords.